Monday, April 18, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game...

Japan is really great! 


It's definitely been a whirlwind. It's calming down pretty quickly though (thank goodness- because I dont know how much more crazy I can take). My favorite thing is still the amazing vending machines. It still blows my mind that I can get a hot can of coffee out of the same vending machine that I get a cold water! So weird. Those brilliant Japanese!

I got to go to my first baseball game yesterday in Tokyo. The Yakult Swallows versus the Yokohama Baystars. I happened to have a red shirt, so I guess I officially became a Swallows fan. First off, I would like to say that the Japanese do baseball right. We were near the stadium about 2 hours before the game and ALREADY people were inside cheering and singing. I guess they do their tailgating inside the stadium as opposed to outside in the parking lots like I'm accustomed to. Also hugh on my list of things I love about Japanese baseball... the fact that they let you bring pretty much anything into the park to eat/drink. I mean anything. We showed up with plastic bags full of Asahi biirus and Chūhai drinks. In addition to the drinks, we also brought in: strawberries, cooked kale, chips, edamame, peanuts, frozen fruit balls and many more other items we thought we'd never get away with bringing into a game.

You think the FSU Animals are nuts? They don't have anything on the Japanese!!! Almost every single person brought several different accessories for the game. They all wore jerseys, they brought umbrellas (there's a chant that goes along with it about the other team being washed up), they all brought team towels, and they had bats that they banged together. Probably about 90% of the time they were chanting and singing! It was awesome! I started making up words so I could chant along! It was a phenomenal experience.

I have so many more things to tell everyone about the past few weeks. There's just too much for one blog post! :)

More to come,

Megs


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I'm in Yokosuka this morning and am about to hop on a train to get to Jingu Stadium and watch the Swallows play (also against the Yokahoma Baystars). Funny, I searched Google for "can you take bags into Japanese baseball stadiums" and this post answered my question.

    I guess you never know when something you post will eventually help somebody else out. What a great connected world we live in! Thanks again...

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I'm so glad this helped you! I wish I would have been able to find something like this when I first got here. I'm going to post guide to Tsukiji fish market soon because I couldn't find anything great on it before I went either. :) Thanks for the props.

    ReplyDelete